About Russian Missions >
Russian Missions is an emerging mission uniquely adjusted to modern times. Today, fully 90% of pioneer missionary work among unreached peoples is being done by native missionaries who are nearby neighbors of those being reached with the gospel.
Rather than send Americans abroad in the traditional manner, Russian Missions sends financial, managerial and educational assistance to indigenous Russian missionaries as well as selected local Christian leaders.
- We seek out and evaluate native missionary operations
- Assure they love the Lord and believe in His Word
- That He is using them in effective ways
- That they are honest and accountable in handling finances
Then, we make their work known to churches and individual Christians in American to encourage assistance (such as: financial support, prayer support, volunteer services, etc.).
If traditional mission boards tried to do the volume of work maintained by Russian Missions, they would need over $60,000 per year or $5,000 per month for each missionary. With our financial backing, indigenous missionaries can do the same work typically between $200 and $300 per month, though many don’t get that much. Why?
- These missionaries are native citizens and their work can never be disrupted by the expiration or cancellation of visas. If wars or political instability develop, they stay on.
- Many already know the language of the target people group. Others are adept at learning a sister language.
- They already know the mores of the culture, having been brought up in it.
- The native missionary eats and drinks the local food, a practice that often wipes out the typical American missionary.
- The native missionaries essentially live at the same economic level as the people among who they minister to.
Russian Missions serves as a supply line and their communications link. We make known their work to believers in the United States, print and mail informative newsletters, maintain supporters, issue tax-deductible receipts for contributions sent in for their work, etc.
Each ministry is carefully reviewed to insure it measures up to the expectations of the donors and churches that provide financial and prayerful support. Our staff has traveled thousands of miles to visit and evaluate indigenous ministries in some of the most remote places in Russia.
Why Our Philosophy Works…
When a people have to abandon their valued ethnic identity and adopt an alien culture in order to become believers, the cause of church planting won’t go far. Therefore, Russian Missions has always done their worship service in the native language.
Our Missionaries enter the field with a heart that is hungry to serve the Lord. Requirements such as a building, property and salaried clergy can become millstones around the neck of the church and make church planting unlikely. Our Missionaries hold meetings in places where their congregation can feel comfortable (for example: sometimes small groups meet in apartments or local cultural halls).
Evangelism is spreading through natural family or community networks.
Russian Missions develops multiple leaders with each group. This ensures abundant potential leaders for the new church itself and for starting additional churches. Our new converts are quickly and sincerely incorporated into the life and ministry of the local church.